View Single Post
Old 11-16-2017, 09:36 AM

Not familiar with the piece but familiar with challenging pieces. I heard someone saying "You think, you stink" and I couldn't agree more.

So how I approach it? I focus 100% till I have the finger memory as well as the picking memory. No matter how long or complicated it can get, that is vital. Personally I found when I have to think through a piece it will sound like poopoo.

So when I have that I play it over and over again for days if not weeks. I play it slowly till one day I notice I am playing it faster/fast and correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Hi all

I am working on “Song for Stephen” by Antoine Dufour and am struggling particularly with one element (not that the rest is a walk in the park..)

It requires a rhythmic right hand thumb “slap” throughout the piece and I am finding it very difficult to maintain this in time while picking out the tune and also fretting correctly.

It is improving I think as I get more used to the left hand position and have to think about it less, but I wanted to know if any of you have found an effective way to speed up this learning process (or if it just came naturally to you)

My inclination was to focus on the left hand and get this to the stage where I don’t have to think about it, and then add in and polish the right hand and the slap - would you agree, or am I better off trying to build it all up together?

Slowing it right down does not solve the problem as I find myself slapping too often or too fast and out of time.

Any help or advice from those of you who have faced (and overcome) this problem would be much appreciated..