View Single Post
Old 07-31-2017, 10:59 AM

I've been playing for several years and have plateaued various times. Sometimes, I've made choices which led me to massive steps up from previous plateaus. The most significant were:

- After having been self-taught for a couple of years I went to a teacher. He changed my posture and started all over from the beginning. I improved massively in a month.

- After having learned songs, I decided to learn the basics of theory, in this case, pentatonics, major/minor scales and basic chord patterns. I improved almost instantly in playing the tunes which I have been playing for years. Knowing what I was doing made me much more confident in getting the fingerings right and help me remember/metabolize the songs.

- I always focussed on my fretting hand. One day, I decided to "let the fretting hand go" and focus on my right hand, to get a consistent tone out of my finger tips. The results were great, I am really happy of my tone now.

Currently, I am doing a lot of ear training of intervals and chords and I hope that would lead me to the next plateau!

Ll.