View Single Post
Old 04-17-2002, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike A.

Sounds familiar, James. Don't you think? Wonder where I heard that before........

I'm not bigger than knowing when I'm wrong, but when it comes to that Martin thing, which brace are they talking about? The main X-brace? The tone bars? The two fan braces? Or are they talking about the back? A couple weeks ago, I had an hour and a half to sit in on some Martin training. That's where he mentioned the "no difference" in bracing from the 28 series up to the 42 series. That difference in size of bracing you're referring to is coincidentally the difference between a D-series and an HD-series. Furthermore, the HD's have scalloped braces, like the current 16 series. The same thing is found on the HD28VR stuff as well. Sure, the H stands for Herringbone edge work, but it mainly denotes the scalloped bracing.
Actuall, according to the D F Martin website, the D-28 and the HD-28 have the same size bracing (5/16"). The difference is that the HD (28 & 35) have 'scalloped bracing' much like the vintage series guitars (which also have a 'forward shift'). The D-35 has the 1/4" bracing (scalloped in the HD-35). (BTW, I mis-typed before and stated the D-35 has 3/4" bracing, when, if fact, its 1/4").

James