View Single Post
Old 12-07-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
"The neck design is based on a modified "U" profile that has been popular in guitars since the 1950s." From Rainsongs web page

It just is odd to me that Rainsong goes back to the 50s for this. Taylor built a guitar company on perfecting a modern thinner profile. Many including Martin had to respond. I am sure that many find a fuller neck to their liking, but without a truss rod, the thinner N1 profile will not have a chance. And it not just the thickness it's the fuller 50's profile. One Rainsong fan on a tube review said the only comparison he could come up with was 1958 Gibson Les Paul.

Steve
Steve, I've owned a number of 50's Les Pauls and the neck on these guitars is nothing like the Rainsong N2 neck, I think this "Rainsong fan" was just using a comparison between the 50' and 60's Gibson neck shapes which I have used in the past as well. In any event there is nothing wrong with going back to the 50's, pretty sure the human hand hasn't change since the 50's. In fact I do quite well with pre war style acoustics built by Martin, Gibson and their clones, seem lots of folks like the feel of older guitars just fine. Heck, even Taylor increased the thickness of their necks in recent years per popular demand.

We stock more Rainsongs than any other store on the planet and based on the last six years of in-store feedback I find that most folks prefer the feel of the N2 neck over the N1. The fact that the N2 neck has a truss rod is nice, but with a CF guitar it's hardly a necessity so I have never had anyone choose the N2 neck because of it's truss rod. Sure, it's always nice to have options, and it is possible Ashvin will decide to add an N1 12-fret neck to the lineup, but IMO if he had to choose just one he chose well.