View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010, 01:26 PM

There are two issues - video resolution and mic input.

YouTube accepts and displays lightweight HD, and giving them video at lower resolution results in lower quality when your clips are played back. The Q3 records in SD at 640x480 pixels, so your videos will be second class citizens on YouTube. This can be tweaked if you use editing software to do post production on your video, but if you're doing direct uploads you have no options.

The Kodak Zi8 records in a couple of HD resolutions as well as SD, so your vids will get first class treatment at YouTube and look much better.

However, if you use the Kodak direct upload function you will sacrifice quality (their software needs badly to be updated). So for best results copy the file from the Zi8 memory card to your computer and upload using your web browser and the standard YouTube upload process. Do not use the included MediaImpressions software or other tools for your YouTube transfers.

On the audio side, the most important thing in recording (assuming a marginal level of quality in the signal chain) is mic placement. Since the Q3 has the mics at the same position as the camera, the mic cannot be optimally placed. The camera needs to be three to five feet from the subject, the mic needs to be around 18" or less.

With the Zi8 and an external mic and extender cable you can frame the subject just as you like and still place the mic optimally.

So for both video and audio quality, I believe the Zi8/mic combo is a better choice.

All this with the proviso that I have not used the Q3, only studied its specifications and observed other people's recordings.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog