View Single Post
Old 04-01-2019, 01:36 PM

I'm left handed and play right handed.

I would say you let her do what she wants or she'll quit or find a teacher who can teach her the way that works for her. If had started with a teacher and the teacher insisted I switch to playing lefty when I showed up with a righty guitar and had started that way I'd find another teacher right away.

In the end guitar is not maintenance of a nuclear reactor and the opinion of the person playing the guitar is probably the most important thing. There have been a lot of great players who made up all their own rules as they went.

I think some of the predicted strengths & weaknesses of this student are probably right on the money based on those of us who play right handed but are left handed.

Namely fretting will come easier & picking will be more difficult. That is certainly my experience as a lefty playing right handed. Some of the fretting techniques have come very quickly for me, but some of the picking techniques have taken really hard work.

It all balances out.. we all have some stuff we learn quick and other stuff we have trouble with. I don't think this situation should be handled any different just because there are fewer lefty guitars on shelves. That's really only a factor for a GAS/Collector type person.