View Single Post
Old 02-28-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwl View Post
SRV used to tinker with strings all the time, rumor is he went as high as .017, however I believe he usually used .013. Also important to remember he was usually in Eb standard as well, so half a step down.

I remember something from his tech saying he used .013 – .015 – .019p – .028 – .038 – .058, and would switch to .012 if he was tired.
Some info from an interview with Rene Martinez, Stevie' s tech:

" One day I decided to get some GHS Strings and we tried them and he liked them and he became an endorsee as time went on. Then they became his set which was 11, 15, 19, 28, 38, 58 and they were the Nickel Rockers.
And the reason I came up with that gauge is because he started to tear his fingers up quite a bit using heavier gauge strings, and I said to him, Stevie, you're just gonna have to use a different set to keep your hands. So we finally settled on 11, 15, 19, 28, 38, 58. And that became the standard when his sets came out. His custom sets.

Guitar.com: 11 to what? 58?
Martinez: 11 through 58. 11, 15, 19 plain, 28, 38, 58.
Guitar.com: So what was it like the last two years or so that he dropped back from the 13s to the 11s.

Martinez: Well, it was probably the last couple of years, maybe year and a half to two years, where he finally stuck with the 11, 15, 19s because he was literally tearing his skin apart. He liked a lot of the things that I said and believed in some of the things that I said, and he finally said to himself, I'd better stick with these.Im not hurtin them as much. And the tone was still there. He just liked the tone of the big fat strings, thats all."

https://www.guitar.com/articles/rene...ns-guitar-tech