View Single Post
Old 06-16-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
There is a lot of interest in Octave Mandolins right now. Mandolinists like Sierra Hull and Sarah Jarosz are utilizing them extensively. My guitar/mandolin teacher has one. The are more resonant, and their register tends to fit most voices better than a mandolin. But here is the thing, I can't really see a scenario where I would choose an OM over a mandolin or guitar.
A mandolin is a superior instrument for playing melodies (shorter scale length, a better melody register) and a guitar is (usually) a better instrument for vocal accompaniment.

I am sure there are scenarios where an OM is perfect (maybe as the sole choral instrument in an Irish session), but, to me, they seem overspecialized.
When I was with a mandolin orchestra, the octaves were used in much the same way as a bass guitar would be.

For a lower register, might even think about mandola. Tuned a fifth below mandolin but more comparable in utility to the mandolin. Seen some builders make 10 string mandolas that add a pair of high e strings so you have both registers on one instrument.