View Single Post
Old 03-22-2024, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Oh I agree and you definitely have to listen in context to gain the knowledge of what adjustments will do,
and have said so several times in this thread. I just do not have an aversion to adjusting in solo and then listening in context per.se. . But listening in solo and then adjusting in context is a great suggestion also , and I actually do that for the most part. For example as far as EQ and compression, even if on a specific track I basically always make any adjustment in full context

But to clarify I was speaking more to things like say for example a vocal de-essing . Now obviously learning the mic technique of ducking a bit when singing an (S) sound will do the most. BUT when a hissy (S) sound does get through, that I can hear in context. I find it helpful to solo the vocal and automate a single band narrow Q --EQ to reduce the peak of the hiss, BUT then as you say immediately audition in context -- As opposed to simply slapping an de-eser plugin on the entire track

I think we're on the same page. And I get it, the solo for a minute helps focus you on the sound you're dealing with. We all start there.The step after that is not needing to solo at all to make mix adjustments...but like anything else, it requires practice. That's all I really mean. If you want to be able to do that, you have to do it. It's the practice that makes it possible.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele