View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 01:50 PM

Nice assessment and I agree entirely.

These are beautiful, woefully-underrated guitars. The back and sides are pearwood - a lively tonewood with plenty of projection. I owned a '67 for over 30 years. Unfortunately, a cholesterol drug reaction made playing a 2" classical guitar painful. So, I sold it after hurricane Katrina and gave the money to the Red Cross.

Years later, different medication and persistence have allowed me to play a classical neck more comfortably. I found a '69 Guild Mark I in excellent shape and have been able to play that. I was almost overcome with G.A.S. (Guild acquisition syndrome) on this one, though. But, I just couldn't justify buying a second Guild classical when I don't really play the one I have more than occasionally.

I did ask the guy if he had put the guard on, but he bought it that way several years ago, so there's no way to know how long it has been on there. It is possible that a little, carefully-measured heat might lift the pickguard and some naphtha might remove the residual glue. But, this is not a process for the faint of heart. Other than that, the pictures indicate that this Mark IV is in acceptable shape. Somebody please buy it so I won't.

Several Martins, 2 Guilds, a couple of kits and a Tilton (ever heard of those?),
some ukes and a 1920s Vega tenor banjo

Neil deGrasse Tyson — 'The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.'