View Single Post
Old 10-11-2007, 12:16 PM
Tryin' to figure it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joost Assink View Post
Aside from the effect on tone, does scale lenght affect playability? Well, obviously a short scale (say 24.8 inch) is easier to play than a long(er) scale like 25.7 inch, when played side by side, but don't your hands get used to the scale length after a while?
Doesn't the short scale difference disappear when all you play is short scale? I'd assume your hands get 'lazy'. A case of 'use it or lose it'.

I used to play electric guitar and thought fretting could be difficult sometimes. Now I play 25.7 inch in standard tuning and I got used to that too. I picked up my strat after years and years recently and played it for a few minutes. It felt like it was strung with rubber bands...

What are your thoughts on this, assuming all your guitars have the same scale length and string gauge?
Scale length does affect playability, but I've found that I can adjust (within reason). For example, I've got a Tacoma baritone with a 29" scale. If I play it a lot, I find that I can do most of the stuff I do on a shorter scale instrument. There are a few limitations, but I can usually compensate.