View Single Post
Old 05-01-2016, 07:04 AM

I own the AER 60/3 and Fishman Loudbox Performer and LB Artist. I have played the Schertler David and Unico. I agree that the AER is the most "true" acoustic amp and that you get out of it what you put into it. It does not color your sound. That being said, it is a bit unforgiving in that respect. Like Eric said above, it really depends what guitar and what pickup system you are using.
For my Taylor T5, T5z and my Custom GA with ES (2012 version), the LB amps sound better and are easier to get good solid acoustic tone. Those guitars tend to sound "thin" with the AER since the T5s are in fact "thin".
For the money and bang for the buck, the LB series are I think, a really good deal. In fact, I just picked up an Artist to have something a bit smaller to use on solo gigs.
With my K&K installed Taylors and with sound hole pickups like the Sunrise, the AER is a very true sounding and excellent amp. The one complaint I have is that I wish that both channels had the combo input and that the vocal channel had three band eq.
To a solo artist, the vocal channel really matters. You can get very good tone out of the vocal channel but three band eq would have been nice.
The LB series also gives you individual control of the effects. That is a really nice option and allows you to get away without carrying pedals, etc.
You really need to see and hear those amps and I understand some folks do not have accessibility so that is a problem.
You can't go wrong with an AER if you realize you need to understand your whole signal chain. It is truly a fine amp.
I find myself leaning on the LB amps more for ease of use and flexibility.
The schertlers are very good amps and more in the line of AER cost. I liked them but the David was a bit low on power although is good for most small to medium venues.
So that is my experience and hope it helps.
davids