View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 04:37 AM

Default Recommendation: low watt valve amp

Hi all.
I am looking for a valve amp but on a budget.
I currently have a MIM Tele and Yamaha THR-10C - which is great for what I use it for, but I have gas and want to try a valve amp.
Unfortunately I live in Australia and they are pretty expensive over here.
I have seen a Joyo JTA-05 sweet baby 5w amp that can be delivered for AUD$229 (pretty cheap). Apparently a knock off from Fender Tweed Champ 5F1 (I don't know why this is important) with 8 " speaker and tube rectifier.
Anyway, for comparison, Bugera V5 infinium is about $530, Fender Blues Junior 3 about $1100, Blackstar HT5 about $600. That should give you an idea of what I would be paying.
What I'm trying to work out - are there any benefits to such a basic amp? No separate gain/vol knob, no tone or eq of any sort, no reverb. Only a master, which I assume means I only have a gain knob and the master is always open. If my volume is at the loudness I'm at then there is no more crunch or distortion at that 'loudenss'. But, I suppose I get the simplicity of it and learn how to use tubes and my guitar.
I expect I will continue to use the little Yammie for most practice as it does this job really well. I don't need to get really loud and will probably use this about once a month when everyone is out during the day. What do you all think - are there benefits to an amp like this or should I look for a 2nd hand Bugera?
Thanks.