View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Hi Mark,
For what it is worth: I have been playing guitar since I'm 12 years old. I'll be 61 in June. I still don't play barre chords, and never liked playing them as they always felt uncomfortable.

Got that? Okay.......

Just because a neck is thinner, thicker, wider, narrower, etc, etc has nothing to do with any particular style of play. The only thing that counts is your hand, on a particular neck shape/profile/width/depth/ etc, etc and how it feels to you.

It is, very much, like shopping for clothing. Even if you do not have a vast amount of experience as a player, you are more qualified than anybody else to determine what feels comfortable in your hand.

And here is the kicker: Your logic was that thinner would be easier to grab on to, and you were wrong. Your hands are telling you as much.

Small necks (less deep) have always bothered my hands, and I found that out from simple observation: If it hurts, don't do it.

You need to go to a well stocked music store and try out a bunch of guitars that are similar body shapes to what you now enjoy, but with larger necks.

Start with that, and if you notice that it's easier right away, pay attention to what your hands are saying.

They are the only voices that count in the long run, because if they hurt, you won't be playing anything.

HE
http://howardemerson.com/music2.html
Thanks Howard, that makes a lot of sense. I've obviously been listening to my brain more than my hands. Time to give the hand a bit of a listen!

One of my concerns was if I hold onto the guitar and it just ends up sitting in a closet or under a bed, it's not fair to the guitar as it really should be getting played on a regular basis. I would hate to see any bad guitar Karma come my way!!

Last edited by markallen; 05-24-2012 at 08:33 AM.