View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlipoth View Post
I am trying a cheap Epiphone AJ220s (round shoulder style guitar), and have started experimenting with parts to enhance/customize the tone. My goal is to help the guitar get a certain type of "Gibson" sound I've heard on higher end round shoulder guitars. A compressed attack and lots of sustain....almost electric like, but not thin in any manner. I put D'Addario 12 guage nickel electrics (with a wound G) on it against the advice of the guy at my local guitar store. I can't believe how much better the guitar sounds! I don't think I'd do this on my rosewood martin, but a heavier gauge nickel string can really sound nice on the right guitar. Next up: I'm going to replace the saddle and bridge pins. Any recommendations? I've got a bone saddle and will be getting a tusq one too. For bridge pins I will try bone, ebony, rosewood, brass, and plastic (but better quality ones than the playskool junk they put on it)
Hi Jlipoth...

Hello and welcome to the forum! Sounds like you are asking what many of us have - how to optimize my guitars sound (and look)

I hear big improvements with bone saddles, and Bob Colosi (CLICK) runs Guitar Saddles dot com. He has the best products in stock and wonderful advice on how to implement them.

Glad to have you aboard!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…