Thread: String spacing
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtrfinger View Post
Thanks Larry. If you're playing a 45 mm nut with 37mm string spacing, that leaves (without taking into account half the thickness of top E and bottom E) 8mm room, ie 4mm at each end. Thats the same as me with my 48mm nut and 40mm spacing.
...yes, but this is actually considered a narrow string spacing on a 45 mm width nut...Many builders go wider by a mm.

I personally want more room to the edges, without changing the string spacing...so any future custom guitars would leave the E to E spacing at 37, but go wider overall at the nut.

You're wanting to go to a wider E to E spacing, and of course this would be on a current guitar...a very different thing. You can do it, and the danger will be in getting the E strings too close to the edges. You can shift the overall spacing so that the low E is closer to the edge than the high E (while going to a wider spacing), but there are limits to this...and you'll have to have a new nut (or multiple nuts) made to discover what might be most comfortable for you.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner