View Single Post
Old 12-25-2008, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrwanka View Post
Aw, i get it now. SO when you buy a compensated bridge, youre buying a bridge that is in a very fine ball park for a specific brand of guitar. Most people wont want further adjustments unless they are super picky.
I think you must have been writing this at the same time I was writing my post.

That "Most people wont want further adjustments unless they are super picky" quote from you is a bit disconcerting.

What is "super picky?" Wanting the guitar to intonate correctly?

There are more factors involved than just the brand of guitar, and they're impossible to predict completely unless the guitar itself is present. Variations in the top and neck geometry, the gauge and alloy and core wire of the strings - all of these things play a role and interact with each other.

Unless you really want to get this stuff dialed in, there's truly no point whatsoever in having an intonated bridge saddle in the first place. You'll be just as well off with the stock averaged bridge saddle that the guitar came with.

Honestly. It's not as though an intonated saddle is any kind of status symbol. Its only value is if it makes the guitar play in tune better.

And that can't be done from afar. Two identical model guitars, from the same company with successive serial numbers, can have somewhat different neck and bridge geometries from each other. And that affects intonation.

Wade Hampton Miller