View Single Post
Old 05-12-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strumalot View Post
From my nylon perspective ~ I don't know if I am a typical crossover buyer or a market of one ~ but my priorities would be playablility. For me, that's an electiric-like neck and upper fret access. I am still primarily a steel string player. I do like to cross over to the nylon side at times, but am not a classical purist when it comes to the sound.

So my X10N, which joins around fret 15 and has a generous cutaway, beats my RainSong NP12 which arguably sounds better but has reduced upper fret access.

I would be curious... do I represent a typical crossover customer or am I a market of one?
There is no typical crossover customer. It's too new, and specs haven't been optimized yet. Personally, I think the biggest crossover market is electric guitarists, especially lead guitarists who solo a lot. Nylon strings are great for soloing, which is why there are so many solo classical guitar recordings. But until specs are optimized, few people will know that crossovers even exist.

I like my guitars to be as electric-like as possible, with a smallish body and lots of fret access. I also know that nylon tone benefits from having the bridge in the center of the lower bout. And I like the comfort of a shorter scale and a nut that isn't too far from my body. Some of these parameters are divergent, hence our search for a point of balance.