Thread: 1972 Martin D18
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2007, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sihackett29 View Post
...what should I be looking for? I'd like it to hold its value!!
Hi sihackett...
The tone is what makes or breaks old Martins. It's either got it or it ain't. It is the first thing I'd be looking for.

We have a friend who bought a 1970 D-28 in 1995, that was in mint condition...because it was virtually unplayed. Looked great, and was tighter than a drum, and it took 10 years of constant play for it to open up and start sounding really decent, and then it needed refretted and a neck reset.

The model you listed is from the ''non-adjustable'' neck years, which is likely part of why it has had a neck reset, so check the relief. Also check fret condition. Hopefully when he had the neck reset the frets were examined and perhaps replaced.

I'd ask...it's only a couple three hundred bucks to have a neck refretted, or $25 per fret if the first 5-6 need replaced, but as a fingerstyler who hammers a lot I attest to the ability to wear them out. It is a normal repair (as is a neck reset after many years of use), but may not have been done.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…