View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
No idea ... I must have put it out of my mind. I've been known to walk out of theaters five minutes into a movie I paid $12 to see. They too were forgettable.

EDIT: Nope, didn't get that far (I checked). I think it was the amateurish acting an dialog that turned me off. The settings and costuming were superb, though.
Amateurish acting and dialogue? Really? I thought both were excellent. What I, personally, found skillful and engaging about the acting was the way in which, by our modern standards, people with very questionable lifestyles and standards could engage both my interest and concern, and this is always going to be a challenge, I think, with historical drama because people living hundreds of years ago did not share the kinds of sensibilities that we have. In this case, as the series progresses, I found that even the violent and paranoid chief of police had at least some redeeming qualities. He was, for example, genuinely dedicated to protecting the king and as sharp as a tack at connecting dots and solving conundrums. I even found myself in sympathy with him when an attempt was made on his life!

In stark contrast, for me, was Game of Thrones. I've enjoyed it a lot through the sheer scope of imagination, settings and drama, but the characters themselves ... they're so one-dimensional (okay, maybe two ...) that I found myself not caring much whether any of them lived or died. Do we really care when Rob Stark is shot full of arrows or Jon Snow assassinated? Perhaps for an audience that's drooling over Jon Snow's looks, that wouldn't be the case!