View Single Post
Old 12-19-2016, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

I agree that monitors are a rather important part of a recording setup.

Quality monitors are more important for folks who are mixing numerous sources (say, 32 channels) for commercial release than for folks mixing just a few channels (say, stereo solo guitar or single performer VOX and guitar) for amateur release.

Still, excellent monitors certainly improve things regardless of what is being listened to, mixed or mastered.

As to cost, you generally get what you pay for and there are exceptions here and there.

If you are recording just guitar and/or vocals or other non-bass octave instruments, there is no need for monitors capable of full bass response (e.g., -3dB at 50Hz) because the performances will not be generating pitches that low.

As to the OP's question, I started with Halfer M5 (with a Hafler P3000 power amp), upgraded to Dynaudio BM6 passives (same power amp) and upgraded again to two different sets (i) Quested H108 passive (Bryston 3B ST power amp) and (ii) Quested F11 actives (predecessor to Quested S7 actives). The Questeds are simply wonderful monitors.