View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Alan…
It really depends on your circumstances (for live play).

I find for worship leaders or coffee house players (where there is noise or a need to overcome house volume) it's generally better to have a pickup, and for nice quiet polite concerts of 100 people or less, a decent mic rig may do the job.

A reality is decent mics cost as much or more than decent pickups (the K&K Pure Western Mini is my recommendation as a really natural sounding and very manageable pickup). Both will be in the more-than-$100 category. On top of that, if you use a mic, you are tied to it (2-4 inches all night), where with a pickup one can move around.

And a decent mic requires a decent interface to the mixer, whereas the pickup requires a direct box or preamp with XLR out capability. Both may or may not require a stage amplifier.

Personally after struggling with mics for years I found the K&K Pure Western Mini picukps and have not looked back. Five-ten minute stage setups and I'm good to go.

Thanks Larry. I will be doing live stuff at my Church and hopefully Coffee houses and the like. I have an SM58 that would be fine run through my 4 track for recording, but I'm not too fond of the mic. idea live.