View Single Post
Old 08-11-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberch View Post
good stuff there, shawlie! Really like your style. I agree with the other, try capo on 1 or 2, you might be surprised.

Also, and take this with a grain of salt... The altnating thumb is perfect for these tunes, but you might try muting the 6-5-4 strings with your right hand palm a bit, or a bit more. The bass notes are slightly overpowering the nice treble work you are doing.

David

Thanks for the advice, David. I've been muting the bass strings most of the time (well, trying to at any rate), but it seems like I sometimes have to lift my hand at times to stay in rhythm. They're not even very hard songs, really, but they give me plenty of trouble in places!

But alternating bass is so much fun to play, I'll really try to even out the sound.

I used to play a lot of clawhammer banjo a couple of years ago. I took one lesson, just to make sure I had correct technique (if there is such a thing, of course, but I wanted a little help and advice from someone with more experience). He thought my thumb was a little weak on the fifth string, so I really tried to bring it out more. Now I seem to have just the opposite problem..!

I really do appreciate these comments, as I said. I'd really like to improve my playing and sound, and not just keep practicing the same mistakes. I'd really like to play the kind of music I like somewhere, just for fun, and I've never had as much pleasure in making music as I have been recently. Feels like being a kid again, and that's fun.

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller