View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 09:45 AM

As a disclaimer I am not in the Martin "camp" Nor in the Taylor camp. I own both brands as well as others...

But the truth is that Taylor shifted the paradigm of guitars sound and build. While some folks simplify it and say that Taylor guitars are "brighter", IMO that is an oversimplification. While some lower end Taylors and those with Cedar tops are brighter guitars overall, the higher end Taylors aren't generically brighter, but fuller and richer sounding with extended overtones and resultant harmonics. And Taylor guitars exemplify today's "modern" sound. And Martin is following suit- starting with the D28 redesign.

I believe that Martin has recognized that the only way forward is to go along. While there are folks that still love the old traditional acoustic sounds, many our sonic expectations have migrated to that that modern sound. And while every hand has it's own neck preferences, perhaps Martin is following Taylor into the world of wider nuts and shallower necks. I don't know, but how would you explain changing the nut width on such an iconic guitar as the D28?

Actually, from a sound standpoint I think Martin is doing the right thing, but should have a different model designation. I know that Taylor does this and IMO it a disingenuous marketing ploy, confusing the unwitting buyers who don't know the difference between a 2016 and 2018 model called by the same name.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS