View Single Post
Old 03-09-2008, 02:30 PM

Default Great Feedback...

Thanks for all of your input. I really appreciate each of your insight.

Taylor Guy - I also play at my church, all acoustic on my Taylor 114ce or 414kce Ltd. However, I wanted to incorporate some electric tones into my sonic palette. I like to crunch & on a recent visit to Island Guitars (Honolulu Ward Warehouse-Guys/Gals stop by if you're on our friendly shores), I played a Curly Maple T5 that screamed & wailed on a little ol' Vox DA15. The acoustic tone on a Marshall 100 watt acoustic amp were pretty close to the expected Taylor quality. However, I was really impressed by the electric expressiveness of the instrument. I think that DA15 had something to do with it. I was playing in their dedicated electric guitar/amp A/B room. The "three" of us (myself/T5/DA15) were "shakin' the rafters" in there. The T5 can definitely rock & roll!!

Earthworm - I might have gone for that $500 clearance VXT, however I test drove a VXT Standard-Black Metallic at Easy Music (S. King St, Honolulu-helpful staff-lots of toys) and wasn't impressed. The acoustic tones thru a SWR Strawberry Blond was very ordinary & the electric vibe through a little Fender tube amp wasn't memorable. Very disappointing!

Michael T - You are very right! I have a bunch of acoustic guitars & my next purchase is going to be an electric guitar that can provide some tasty acoustic tones when the situation requires. The T5 is definitely a FINE instrument. However, the premium price for this quality is a consideration. I believe the Crowdster gets up into the $3000-$4000 range! Way too pricy!

dcropper - Thanks for turning me on to the Ibanez "Montage". I have done my due diligence, online research, google, YouTube. Everything except actually playing the dang thing with my own hands.

Joe F - Thanks for the correct Montage reference.

I will very shortly be dropping some coin for a Quilted Maple Montage. All things considered: Electric guitar with acoustic capabilities; Versatility-can dial up a bunch of tasty tones; Features-onboard tuner, separate volume controls, overdrive, etc, too many to mention; Aesthetics-the looks gradually grew on me-gotta have gold tuners & a cutaway & Value/Price-can't beat even the price for the koa model.

Will report upon initial test drive & beyond...

I will definitely still have the T5 in my sights! After that recent awesome test drive, I know I'll soon include one of them in my arsenal. High quality instrument, very good acoustic tones, awesome electric riffs!

Mahalo for your kind participation,
hnl414kce

Last edited by hnl414kce; 03-10-2008 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Add more info