View Single Post
Old 12-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorcc View Post
There's no problem shipping guitars in cold temps down to minus 60 F or lower. The problem occurs if the guitar has a nitrocellulose finish and it is very cold and you warm it up quickly say by opening a cold case in a warm room. If you do this, the nitro finish will show cracks. It's cosmetic AFAIK but looks are important to a lot of people, including me.
I've heard kind of the same thing over the years, but I still don't like to ship guitars in the winter unless I absolutely have to. I currently have a guitar that I shipped back to a luthier last fall for a new neck (converting it to a baritone), and since he's a little behind schedule with delivering his instruments, I told him to hake his time doing the job over the winter since I do not want to risk anything happening to the guitar shipping it when it's freezing out. Kind of a bummer that I have to wait another 3 or 4 months go get the guitar back, but it would be a bigger bummer if something happened to the guitar. On the bright side, the setup should be perfect and any issues that could arise should be taken care of since the builder will be using it as his personal guitar until it ships back... and more play time is a good thing, right?
Slackers 1:51-52
FSM