View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 02:12 AM

The problem I see with using an acoustic guitar amp as a stage monitor apart from the PA system is that the guitar sound you would be hearing would be somewhat different from what's going through your mains. All amps add their own particular coloration and while power amps designed for sound reinforcement are by nature much more accurate in their reproduction, guitar/acoustic amps are tailored for the instrument, have speakers designed for guitar, etc.

If it happens that you have an acoustic guitar amp that gets the exact sound you want, then hopefully it has a line output jack so you can line it out to your mixer to get close to that sound in the mains...or if all else fails, then mike it up.

Incidentally, that Yamaha StagePas unit strikes me as nice quality, cool piece of gear, but I don't know what it has in the way of aux buses, sub outputs, etc. for running outboard gear or separate monitor systems.

If you're running your guitar or preamp directly into the board, I would favor a powered monitor that gets it's signal from the board, through a monitor bus or subs.

The drummer in my classic rock band, who was having trouble hearing our vocals (he doesn't sing, but needs to be able to hear those cues) ordered a couple of inexpensive Behringer 10" powered speakers from Sweetwater. They're surprisingly decent quality speakers for the price...not too noisy and plenty loud (300w) and clear for near-field monitoring. In pairs they could even be used as mains for a smaller venue, coffee-house type thing but for your purposes you'd only really need one, and maybe a stand for it.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass