View Single Post
Old 02-17-2018, 10:17 AM

Here's my input on the Dazzo's relating to your points

Superglue vs Epoxy : is one easier than the other? I would say no. Neither are complicated. Only real difference is you have to mix some epoxy yourself, superglue just comes straight out the bottle.
If you have a mirror and some battery led lights to go in the guitar while you are doing the install to keep your eye on whats going on that helps.
With the epoxy you can actually 'tweak' the install as the epoxy does not set hard for several minutes. This does mean you have to hold it in place slightly longer initially(vs superglue, but its still only a few minutes) and if you do try and move them slightly, be aware you will probably be automatically heavy handed with initial movements as its hard to be minimal when you can't see your hands, so a tip for any tweaking is, try and barely move them. If you put them where you want them to be the first time, great! With superglue (ie K&K/JJB) you put the pickups in, hold them in place, 30 seconds later you're done. But if you aren't as accurate as you'd like theres nothing you can do.
I think you could install then Dazzo's with superglue, tape, blue tac, double sided tape, etc as adhesive is adhesive, but clearly Dazzos were developed using epoxy and as such the resonance of the pickup works with the epoxy where it may not with an alternative.
Teddy didn't provide the epoxy, i got mine from the DIY shop, but there are some brands that he recommends above others, he might even supply some along with your order if you ask him to.

Install method : I installed my Dazzo's myself, did a couple of 'dry fits' without the glue and if you then know whats coming, its fairly straightforward.
I used the newest and now recommended "pointing through the bridge pins" method, I only have the one guitar with Dazzos in and only used this method so I can't compare to the previous version, I just went with what Teddy recommended, and it works. Personally I do think it makes more sense like this. I also think it actually enables easier installs as its easier to 'locate' the position when you have the pins to work with.
Theres no reason why, especially after some dry fit testing, you couldn't install these with a simple self made cardboard template a la K&K/JJB/Trance etc but you can go either way, template or no template and it should work both ways.

Bass responses : Its already been mentioned, but Teddy has several different bass responses available to suit your guitar, its not that he hasn't decided out which bass response is 'the one'. What I actually did after we had spoken was to send Teddy a good quality recording of the guitar and he came back with which response he recommended and that has fit perfectly. The ones he suggested very much match my guitars own responses.

I haven't had to remove the pickup (and hopefully won't have to), but the way epoxy holds means that you should be able to pop them off with good pressure under a corner from a razor blade.

Preamps/Mi-Si : I went for the Mi-Si option. Other than the fact i still haven't acquired a European charger plug for it yet and as such have to keep an international adapter with me, i'm quite happy with it. Personally I decided that I was going to do all my EQing with a mixer and couldn't afford and don't already have an external preamp. Having the Mi-Si means I don't need to worry so much about my impedance either, thats solved before the signal leaves the guitar. I go into the mixer via a passive DI box and an xlr cable mostly for conveniences sake.
I also find having the tone control is handy, its basically now set where I need it and hence I currently don't really use it that often, i've mounted it so its harder to reach but so i won't knock it accidentally when rolling volume up or down.

David