View Single Post
Old 02-17-2018, 12:40 AM

Petty, I will try and answer your questions. Teddy is choosing not to define what pickup goes in a particular instrument. He wants to be able to advise you on what pickup to get for your particular guitar and use. Then if it doesn’t work then he will trade you for another version or give you your money back. I agree, his website is not clear and not very helpful. I will tell you, most acoustic flattops will work well with 60’s 70’s or 80’s. If you have a big Martin dread then I would lean toward the 60’s. If it is a smaller bodied guitar, then 80’s do best. 70’s is the go to for most acoustic applications.

He prefers epoxy for two reasons. First, he believes it sounds superior to tape and superglue. Lastly, during his installation process he has the ability to adjust the position of each piezo until it sounds correct. With the 6 minute epoxy, it gives him a couple of minutes of positioning. He places the first piezo with the bass string attached then adjusts until that bass string sounds natural. Then he does the same with only the treble string attached.

Glue is glue. I can imagine there is always going to be glue residue in the fibers of the wood. I just can’t see it there. He uses brake cleaner (carefully) to treat the residue and scrapes the loosened epoxy. He also may do a little sanding. I use epoxy remover gel. I have tested the use of epoxy and remover on a piece of lumber I have and the wood wood looks fine. Thought it was prudent to do that before I tried it in a guitar. I am just as concerned as anyone for using these products on their guitars. I don’t worry about it anymore.

I have successfully installed several of these and I even have a beater guitar that has had Dazzos installed and uninstalled several times simply to experiment with the effects of positioning and bass responses. I am sure you could use the same tape that trance uses. He claims that the sound will not be its best.

He now has worked with Sunaudio (Sonny is the original preamp developer for FRAP) to develop an onboard preamp. They have their final design ready to roll. He claims he likes it better than the Red Eye. They will also come out with an off board version. I have one one the way.

Good luck. Call Teddy and he will take care of you.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful