View Single Post
Old 02-15-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken.han View Post
I just installed Dazzo on my Larrivée OM-40. I'll try to answer some of your questions:

1. Teddy had me take a picture of my bridge plate for him, and then recommended 70s. I have no experience with other Dazzo pickups, but I'm very pleased how balanced everything sounds from low to high. I followed the installation instructions on his website. Pretty straight forward.

2. I opted for passive without the preamp, because I intend to use it with my existing Helix LT, which has an adjustable input impedance. I am going to use Helix's builtin expression pedal for volume, and another expression pedal I happened to have lying around to adjust eq balance on the fly. It sounds loud and clear, with no discernible noise. Same when I plugged it direct into my Keith McMillen K-Mix and went direct into Logic.

3. The sound, sure, it's not a condenser mic, but it is very good.

4. I used Eventide Equivocate plugin inside Logic, which lets you eq match another sound source, like audio track, or, in my case, a cheap $50 condenser mic I have. When the eq was applied to my Dazzo track, the resulting sound was a very convincing approximation of the mic. My next step is to produce an impulse response file from this, and load it on to my Helix. Should work great. I think this is similar to what ToneDexter (seems really popular on this forum lately) is doing.
Thanks for that! Does Teddy ship the epoxy/glue with the pickup?