View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010, 02:43 AM

Default Headway EDB-1

Hi desertguitar,
I'm glad you're happy your Headway EDB-1.
My concern is more about the build quality / long term use etc. I had to strip-down and rebuild my EDB-1 to correct a misaligned DC power socket (How's yours? Is it seated within the cut-out of the enclosure?). Whilst doing this I noticed that that the misalignment was causing the whole PCB to distort. I had to re-solder most of the connectors to relieve the pressure from the PCB, and re-align the DC socket. Also if you read my review you will have seen the components glue sticked to the PCB. These are 'Through-Hole' components, designed to be mounted through holes and soldered to pads on the other of the PCB..
The noise I was referring to is the EDB-1's self noise. You will notice that no noise figures have been published for the EDB-1 (In the user manual or on Headway's web site). The EDB-1's circuit design is based around low current 062 op amps. These are not known (or spec'd as far as I know) for low noise operation. If you turn up the gain and master controls to halfway or so, you will hear a hissing sound. This is most likely generated by these boys (assuming good circuit design techniques were used). Though to be fair on Headway, they did tell me that the Edb-1 was designed for live use and not for professional recording. Also personally, I would never use the 15 meg ohm setting on Chanel One, as in my opinion this is asking for trouble from external noise and interference.
I use the EDB-1 together with my (much quieter) own design Phantom powered Hi Z pre. With the EDB-1 powering my on-board electret condenser mic.
Thanks for the reply,
Kind regards,
Wal...