Thread: mic test...
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2016, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
Yes, very small bucks. I put up a couple of moving blankets from Harbor Freight. I have no desire to put up $1,000's of dollars of Auralux.

Do not underestimate the value of room treatment... However I agree do not spend $ 1000 on Auralux...Unless they have completely changed from their use of foam it is indeed a waste of money IMO.

Arguably the moving blankets are just as good or better than foam for the very little amount of high frequency absorption that either will actually accomplish.

What will in fact make much more of difference in both recording and especially mixing, would be the use of products far far superior to foam or blankets and that is something like either Corning 703 or Rockwool .

You can use the 703 and DIY your own treatment panels (703 usually comes in 2 inch thick 2ft. by 4 ft. sheets if you double them up to 4" X 2' X4' for wall panels and 6 or 8 inches thick for bass traps ) you will be using the kind of materials and actually accomplishing the kinds of treatments that are use in professional studios.

Nobody has the "desire" to spend money on room treatment, there is no glamor and little fun to had in comparison to getting new gear.... yet If you think of the journey of recording like building a house .. while there is no glamor in a good solid, square, level, and plum foundation,,,, having one will exponentially increase the value of every dollar spent on gear and make accomplishing all the other aspects of the project all that much easier to get right.

While 703 etc treatment is not cheap (running about a dollar per square ft or more) in the long run room treatment is the best money you can spend to forward your personal journey in recording......... just something to think about.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4