Thread: KU5A here
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2024, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

The clips are a bit "hot" - not sure if you changed the channel and master faders for the audio I was hearing, but you can see the master out is at +2.2, and that's with mostly every plugin turned off (save one, that I don't know what it is).

I do hear a difference, but the level has me wondering if the "resonance" I'm hearing, especially on the SM7b parts is just the whole thing having been recorded too hot, or if there's that much difference. I honestly kind of prefer the SM7b when it's in the softer areas, but when you clearly go into clipping areas, the Shure sounds worse (e.g. right around the 0:29-32 and then at the 1:14-17 spots). It's more annoying and visually obvious on the 2nd clip in the loud parts. At least when I listen on my DT770s.

What's your recording space like, and what level are you setting your peaks at when recording? To me it looks like you've got zero headroom in that before you even start to mix.