View Single Post
Old 03-14-2017, 10:45 PM

Default Dave's compact PA system adventures...

Ok fellow nerds...

I did it. I spent 2 hours and recreated the TC Helicon Play Acoustic (baseline) settings with the XR mixer. As per my post above, I copied the settings over.

As far as the tricky "ambiance" component is concerned, Cuki was right about it being a subtle reverb tail. Even better, the XR comes with "Ambiance" reverb effect. I thought to myself "nah, it couldn't be that easy, could it?" It was. My "home made" BodyRez feature works perfectly. I ended up modeling BodyRez 1, which is the default version for the stomp box. Actually, I made two versions. One with the enhanced bass and low cut shelf, and one that had a flat low cut shelf. Bye bye piezo quack!

For the vocals, I added the components above. The para EQ for vocals was the hardest part. I ended up referring to a few websites for sound engineers. I created two "ideal" models for male and female singers from their instructions. I made the male a Tenor voice part model. The female is Mezzo Soprano. Besides para EQ, I added the rest of the TC Helicon vocal "recipe" including gate, low cut, compressor, sibilance filter, hall reverb, and a touch of doubling.

The obvious questions are "why bother?", and "why not just use the pedal you already have?" No worries, I'll use the TC pedal when I'm by myself going into a PA. I'll have the basic foot switch control handy. And, I might dabble in harmonies. However, if I find myself playing with one or more people, I now have 4 virtual "mic mechanic 2" pedals available, and at least 2 (high z input) virtual "BodyRez" pedals. Each with a couple of options programmed in. The other 6 channels can be whatever they want. However, other instruments will need an impedance matching DI, because this unit comes with only 2 (high z) channels that I am dedicating to acoustic guitars.

On the negative side, I found that the noise floor emanating from the Harbinger MLS800 class D amplifier is higher than I would like. A lot higher. It's definitely coming from the final stage of amplification. I think I'll box it up and take it back to GC Thursday. I'll probably order a JBL EON One, TurboSound iP500, 1000, or 2000 or Maui 5. I might also consider the Evox.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by martingitdave; 03-14-2017 at 11:06 PM.