View Single Post
Old 09-24-2017, 12:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
Dazzos sound really good and I like the passive nature of them (anything that requires less in my guitar). However, when I e-mailed Teddy he was hard to successfully communicate with. I don't think writing is his talent (emails were hard to follow) and I think he needed pics of my guitar...it seemed complicated.

I thought Dazzo sounded better than K&K but I, personally, prefer Pickup the World and use their #54 blended with a Baggs LB6. I, essentially treat the PUTW as a mic (but a more stable one) that adds air and resonance to the steady and clean tone of the LB6. I actually mix it like the Anthem, with the LB6 providing bass and the PUTW the air and treble.

However, to your point and the OPs, this isn't a "simple plug & play" setup. I get good sound, but I have two pickups wired in stereo mixed with the Baggs MixPro and then run to another DI/Preamp or Amp. It's not terrible, but a Tak or Ovation is definitely simpler, at the expense of some naturalness.
Erik, would love to hear some more of your thoughts on the PUTW. I just heard about this one a month or so ago and am seriously considering getting one. I've been talking back and forth with martingitdave in here about this rig, and in fact just this evening sent him a followup PM.

I seem to recall him saying it works better in solo performing vs playing with a full band. Have you had any feedback issues with the PUTW unit?

Finally, if I may ask, what guitar(s) are you running it in? I am considering dropping one into an Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500M, a round-shouldered spruce over hog dread. This is an amazing cannon of a guitar. I've hated pickups for forty years and am very serious about accurate reproduction of wooden tone. I have a Baggs Anthem and a Trance Amulet in my two best guitars, both sound pretty good, but not perfect.

thanks so much,
scott memmer