View Single Post
Old 02-07-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckjohn View Post
While I am glad that the OLF appears to be coming back up....

It takes me to a bigger thought.....

Sometimes they don't. We often think of these forums almost like a public library or the library of congress.... Or a permanent record....
And the reality is that they are privately owned and as such - are at risk of failure and disappearing.

For example... There was the "Luthier Forum" owned by tonewood cutter Mario DaCosta.... I participated there and also bought some wood from him... Well - he died suddenly about a year ago... And that forum is gone now.... And with it went the threads containing my first 5 guitar builds. There was one professional luthier who participated there which died.. All his tutorials and advice is now gone with the forum.... And he posted a LOT of tutorial stuff there....

So.. Nothing lives forever.... And we have to keep that in mind.
Don't be sure your stuff is gone forever. I gave up my URL after many years of maintaining my own website and a lot of the website is still available through the internet archive project. It depends on how much traffic the topic saw and if it happened to get archived. Here's an example page of my website, even though it's been gone for quite a while.

http://web.archive.org/web/201603250...eBoucher1.html

I've used the archive to find web pages that have been gone for several years.