View Single Post
Old 12-30-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
So you achieve freedom from buzz at the expense of accurate intonation? .5mm ( = .020") is huge, and unless the nut is compensated, I would think the pitch at the first fret is guaranteed to be sharp. If the open strings are buzzing, then surely the relief need to be greater, or else the saddle needs raising?

Admittedly, my experience is only with steel strings, which is why I would like the opinion of a bona fide classical luthier.
I've been making both steel string and classical guitars (and lutes, dulcimers and other stuff) for 30+ years. As you are aware, a "true" classical guitar - in contrast to a "crossover" - has some significant differences in setup and playing technique. The strings, themselves, don't require as much compensation for intonation as steel strings do, partly due to the composition of the strings and partially due to the longer scale length typical of classical guitars (650 or 660 mm).

A good setup for a classical guitar is pretty much as Chris stated. Setup well, the intonation on a classical guitar will be as good or better than steel string guitars.