View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 08:30 AM

jonpr, lots of useful information in these posts. i had a few thoughts as i read through, so i guess i will pass them along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
2. KEY FOUNDATION
.... Every major and minor triad occurs in 3 different major keys. Every min7 chord also occurs in 3 different keys. Every maj7 chord occurs in 2 different keys. Dims and dom7s, however, only occur in one key each (at least, strictly speaking...)
would 'root' or something similar be a better term here. for example, 'every may7 chord occurs with 2 different roots'. after all, they are all in the same key, are they not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
3. THEORETICAL FOUNDATION

3. SUS4
Root, perfect 4th, perfect 5th.
Symbol adds the word "sus" or "sus4".
"Csus" or "Csus4" = C F G.
In rock, SUS2 is also common, but is simply an inversion of a sus4 - ie same notes in a different order.
SUS2 = root, major 2nd, perfect 5th
"Csus2" = C D G. "Gsus4" = G C D (ie same notes).

it doesn't seem correct to me to say that a sus2 is an inversion of a sus4, without mentioning the root has changed. interesting how they are related, though.

also, i'd add in dom9 chords, they seem pretty popular in all forms of music.

it's nice you take the time to write all of this information out.

it's interesting how dom7 came from the 7th chord built from the 5 degree of the scale, but now can be used simple to describe a chord type, like min7. in fact, there really isn't another term for it, is there?