View Single Post
Old 11-03-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
You know, I've wondered the same thing and I'm not really sure. I don't know how efficiently they absorb moisture from the air. To dehumidify, it might be simpler to just use some white rice - that's sort of the traditional solution.
Rice does not work, I've done extensive testing on dehumidification because I live in Guam and we have around 85%RH year round. If you want a product similar to the water beads but to function in reverse to dehumidify instead, Home Depot sells "Damprid" which I'd imagine you could open up & do the same with fazool's simple design in this thread. I have not tested this, so I have no idea how long it will last or if it'll even reduce the RH in your case to 45% where you live. Furthermore, I have no idea if the Damprid will reduce the RH in your case to LESS THAN 45% - which could get problematic.

I keep all my instruments in a room that has an air conditioner running constantly. Here in Guam, the A/C set to 72 degrees removes moisture in the air and keeps the RH between 45-55%...but YMMV.

Great idea fazool, if I ever have to travel stateside with one of my ukes or guitars, I'll be making one of these. No offense, but I wouldn't trust the grommet to hold a solid object suspended in my soundhole when moving the case around (ie. traveling or going to a gig). Any little bump would surely dislodge that thing from the strings. I'd use a simple plastic piece that can rest across all six strings...or maybe even cover the soundhole to prevent additional evaporation. Just my opinion.