View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Awesome thread! Modes is something that totally intimidate me. When I write my stuff I stick to major or minor scales for melodies and pentatonic for soloing. The result is that my songs kinda all sound the same. I’m starting to pick up my electrics again so I think I’ll get off that major minor pentatonic box for once.
You have the right foundation to start experimenting with modes.

At risk of more intimidation, think of it as follows:

Major scale = Ionian mode.
You want mixolydian? Just lower the 7th. And adapt any chords accordingly.
E.g., if you're in key of A major (which may use chords D, E(7), F#m, Bm, C#m), lower the G# to G. That gets rid of your E and C#m chords. Use Em and G instead (forget about C#dim, you don't want that!).
Just remember you're not in the key of D major. It's all the same notes and chords, but A is your key chord and key centre.
You will find this an extremely familiar sound. Mixolydian is probably a more common sound in rock music than the major scale.
BTW, don't be tempted to solo in A minor pent. That just turns it in Blues . Use A major pent, and add D (4th) and G (b7).
The simple version is just an A7 chord, while you improvise over it using the D major scale (A as root note, listening for the effect of the C# and G).

Minor scale = aeolian mode.
You want dorian? Just raise the 6th, and adapt any chords accordingly.
E.g., in the key of A minor, you have the chords Am, Dm, E (yes), C, F, G. Maybe Bm7b5 or G#dim7 if you're getting jazzy (but I'm guessing not... ) E major (or E7) is a harmonic minor chord, so lose that. And Dm will be replaced with D (or D7), and you can now have Bm(7) in place of that jazzy Bm7b5. You can use Em, which belongs to both A aeolian and A dorian.
Again, this is a really common sound in rock. You'll have heard Am7-D7 (back and forth) countless times.
You can solo in A minor pentatonic here, but be sure to add the B (2nd) and F# (6th) for the full dorian effect.
The simple version is just an Am7, while you solo over it using the G major scale (A as root, listening for the effect of the B and F#).