View Single Post
Old 04-19-2024, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
Does this not depend where you are? In the USA, by federal regulation, musical instruments are carry on if there is space in the cabin when you board, regardless of size. I think even a medium sized guitar in a hard case will fit in the typical overhead (say 737). Might not on a commuter flight. Might not if you are last to board.

Has anyone attempted to board a US airline and had their guitar refused? I've carried mine on a few times, no one even batted an eyelid.
I've had them push for making me use gate check with full size cases several times.

I've had them give me some grief on a guitalele once as well. That said my X4 pro had some troubles fitting physically in one of the overhead bins with the neck detached and no way it would have fit with the neck attached. All depends on the plane. A number of the domestic 737 I fly on regularly in the US have compartments that a GS mini would only fit in one side of the plane and take the entire compartment.

That said my full size Woolson sound in carbon case fit in the bins of the 737 I took back from Austin (taking the whole bin)

On top of that the difference in carrying a detached neck guitar around with your other luggage is noticeable in the airport vs even the same guitar in a regular gig bag.

Yes you can travel on a plane with larger instruments but speaking from a lot of experience the travel instruments are way less effort and hassle. Of course if your purpose in carrying the guitar is to perform at your destination for a larger audience then the extra hassle makes sense.

Last edited by Aspiring; 04-19-2024 at 12:58 PM.