View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 10:21 PM

I tried a nice Yamaha set at a friend's studio. The sound is very good, but it didn't have the touch response of the Rolands. For example, playing a double stroke roll I kept getting unintended loud notes in the roll. In other words, the response was not as linear as I would have liked. Sounded really good otherwise, and I liked the pads; they were very playable. They don't have the rebound that a tensioned drumhead does, but it was very good. I would liken it to bouncing a rubber playground ball versus a basketball - the bounce is just as high, but the feel is different. The other thing I missed was being able to 'chick' the hi-hat with the foot pedal on beats 2 and 4. The kit could probably do it, but we didn't feel like rooting through the manual to find it instead of playing. If you're playing a style of music that doesn't need the features I missed, they would be very at home. I play mostly older blues, like sixties and earlier, and have a streak of jazz in my playing with the band. Some classic rock gets thrown in the mix, too.

Yeah, really live rooms can be difficult to play in. The cymbals get extremely piercing, and the snare can make you jump out of your skin. I've packed some very plain fleece blankets in my gear case to help tame a bad room before. And it's great that you have some newer people playing with you. Nothing improved my playing more than playing with others. Good luck with your new setup! And if you have more questions, ask away.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird