View Single Post
Old 01-17-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
does "select" hardwood imply inferior hardwood? i would think the opposite. sounds like select rosewood or mahogany might be step up, no?
It often seems to be Spanish Cedar. I've been reading guitar history and learned that Spanish Cedar has been used a long time.

Running out of resources has created a scenario where the way some products have been made for a long time has changed. Many want their Martins to be from 1947 or like that.

I noticed that PRS uses wings on their head stocks but haven't seen the same whining on the PRS forum that takes place on the Martin forum.

There are lots of great used Martins that won't have wings and/or Spanish Cedar, but lots of great new ones that might be as good as they've every been when you consider the nut, saddle and manufacturing standards.

I am in the camp where I have more respect for a guitar company trying to minimize both environmental and product costs so these changes do not bother me, but I'll admit that my once piece necks made of mahogany are pretty. OTOH I forgot about the wings on my PRS pretty quickly.