View Single Post
Old 07-16-2017, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
With non coincident mikes you usually will have a different set of phase anomalies at each mike and at different arrival times. Without the brain of the listener there is no sound, just the wave patterns. Our brain processes the difference of sound arriving at one ear from that arriving at the other ear into distance and location and in the process solidifies and rounds out the tone - within limits of course, but with mono and largely with XY there is no chance for this auditory processing to occur.
I have no idea, this is kind of way beyond my expertise (or interest, really) :-) I'd pass this by some pro recording engineers and see if they agree. All I can really say is that XY recordings sound fine to me; it may be in spite of what you are talking about, or maybe even because of it. Some of my favorite recordings are done with XY, and I don't hear any problems with them. But maybe I'm just not tuned in. You might try raising this theory over on gearslutz and see what they think - if anyone would have informed opinions on this, I'd think you'd find them there.