View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 07:22 AM

Default A Remedial Course in Steady Thumb

Several weeks ago, I had the pleasure of a weekend course with Martin Grosswendt. I have never taken regular lessons - so when I take the occasional weekend workshop, it is often like a report card. I learn new techniques, but also discover my....DEFICIENCIES... ugh...

My deficiency is rhythm. So basic. So fundamental. And it turns out that I'm not alone. Martin taught me to listen more carefully and to be aware of my body. He rekindled the zen of sound and the joy of hearing unisons among several instruments. Martin wanted me to feel the pulse of the rhythm through my body - coordinate the tapping foot with the downward stroke of the hand. We inherently have this talent as children and then in our adult life, we lose it.

Fast forward to this morning. I am checking out the Homespun website for sales. I'm a sucker for picking up their lessons at discount; the quality of production and content of the lessons is always high.

This weekend, Happy Traum's, "Conquer the Challenge of the Steady Thumb" is on sale for 50% off. It's for "near-beginners", but when your deficiency is as basic as rhythm... well, enuf said.

One of the comments that Happy makes is this: "Consider this a remedial course; people can keep the thumb going up to a certain point… but once they start putting in syncopated notes, they are off.” So, "yes", this is a my problem in a nutshell. The content is not much different than other courses that I have taken, but you need to practice this basic stuff over and over again.

I hate the term "remedial" because it brings up so many connotations. So maybe I'll call this a "zen" course or a return to the basics of our craft. If you have been working on alternate thumb and feel you are stuck, you might want to check this lesson out.

best,

Rick

Last edited by srick; 06-18-2017 at 08:57 AM.