View Single Post
Old 01-04-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
The Studio model was based on the Hybrid series, but instead of full gloss, they went with a "fine textured" semi-rough finish designed to shave a few more dollars off the price. Some folks liked them, others didn't, and in the end it was dropped. Note that all Studio models feature full hybrid construction, they were not available with a unidirectional "concert series" top. Currently the only model with hybrid back and sides, and unidirectional top, is the Shorty.

BTW, if you look on the used market, you might find two other models out there with the Hybrid/Unidirectional combo, our limited LA1-LE, and LA2-LE. These were built for us by Rainsong, and were limited to 15 units each. The LA1 was a 14 fret OM and the LA2 was a 12-fret WS, sort of a larger version of the Shorty.
Hi Ted. I read your story in an older thread and it really helped. http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...hlight=Emerald

It sounds like I am in a very similar situation as Anita was in regarding what I am looking for. I want warmth but clarity. Nice fingerstyle but headroom for flat-picking. There is a Rainsong dealer near me, but he only has 2 guitars. the APSE and a Dread of some type (not Concert as it had a woven top). No others within 500 miles of me! The APSE was the most shocking carbon guitar I've played. More bass and a 14 fret neck gets me there. I didn't know that the no other series has the same top & body combination as the Shorty line.

How does a CO-WS1000N2 differ in tone to a H-WS1000N2? I understand that the CO's top should be warmer, but then the back is made with the brighter "all carbon". perhaps the hybrid top, back and sides of the H series puts it on a similar playing field? In the wood world you can have a Cedar top, but if the back and sides are Maple it will still be bright.

Good to hear that many people don't find the WS to be a beastly guitar. I found a Dread to be a bit much and that just 4 7/8. I think the Dreads larger width adds to it's big feeling.

Thanks for all the help!