View Single Post
Old 10-16-2017, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
It's weird that a lot of YT teachers teach position 1 with the shape and play from 5th fret on low E and end on 7th fret of high E.
Then they move to next shape and do the same.
That's confusing.

I'm pretty much a hack and I understand where you are coming from but I think it is necessary to teach the positions first and then teach how to move from one to the other. The important part though, and I didn't get it at first either, is to understand where the root is and the intervals. But I don't know that it is possible to really comprehend all of that at the beginning. I'm just now starting to make some sense of it. I can't apply it well yet but I'm understanding.

So the way I see it, especially at the beginning, is learn the shape one at a time but as you learn it, try to find ways to make it musical. Don't ONLY run the shape. Does that make sense? Try three and four note combinations over a backing track or metronome or whatever and make them musical. One thing I'm starting to notice that when in doubt, end on the root. So for example, try a four not lick that starts and ends on the root in side that pattern. If I were to start over this is what I would do. This way I could take the time to learn the shape, the roots and the intervals and what each interval sounds like and use that to make musical licks.

I'm not sure if it's allowed here but there is a youtube guy I like for this stuff. I don't want to step on toes so I wont post his name but let me know if you want it and I'll pass it along. I just find that he has an approach that works well for me. I also think some teaching styles work for some but not others.