Thread: NUAD
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2017, 10:20 PM

FYI MF still lists it as being made in Mexico - maybe they haven't caught up yet with current production...

BTW the only Super Champ that was all-tube was the Paul Rivera-designed early-80's version, the best examples of which sell in the $1K+/- range; the x2 version is in fact a hybrid amp in the spirit of the first Music Man amps (Leo Fender's mid-70's evolution of the blackface design) which, contrary to current practice, featured a solid-state front end (digital in the case of the x2) feeding a tube power amp. I used to own a late-70s Music Man 410-65 (think Super Reverb) and, like Leo, I always felt this topology provided a more authentic tube-amp tonality than the later single-12AX7 preamp/solid-state power amp designs; it was also bolder and cleaner than a typical blackface Super - more Ampeg-like in character - and if the x2 absorbed any of the old Leo DNA, you'll find it has a surprising amount of clean headroom for a small amp. Suggestion: use the money you saved to swap in an Eminence Ragin' Cajun - these were the hot setup with the old Frontman 25R 1x10" combo (turned them into 15-pound tone monsters that could handle a medium-size gig), and I've heard even better things about the x2/Eminence combination...

Use it well, often, and LOUD...