View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNW View Post
I am a low-intermediate guitar player seeking my next direction to grow in playing/practicing. I enjoy learning tabs and playing songs I love, but at the end of the day, I don't feel like this is teaching me much about my instrument.

At this stage in my playing, I want to LEARN the guitar (the notes on the frets, more chords, what chords sound good together, etc) rather than always COPYING other songs, as much as I do enjoy that as well. I want to learn tools to improve my understanding of the guitar and my ability to just "mess around," rather than spending hours to just perfectly "parrot" someone else's song but yet not improve my own understanding of the guitar too much.

What books/resources, or specific musical direction would you recommend I pursue? Should I pursue some book on guitar music theory, or what? Any book recommendations would be super. Thank you kindly!
I won't be able to point you to a method or source that you might identify with as a good path to follow. Your goal to just "mess around" was how I reached that goal. I stopped actively listening to music in 1976 because that's about when air play shifted to music I could not relate to, and my own progress needed to be more focused without influences. I never strayed from that and began writing as a natural prompt just to keep things fresh. Anyway, I know exactly what you are thinking about and by chance, happenstance and regular play my own self-development achieved a skill level I'm okay with by just messing around.