View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 11:29 AM

Default Finding a New Music Shop - Can't Play the Guitars

So I decided to check out a Music store within reach of me at 35 miles away to see what they had to offer. I had already called ahead and asked about inventory and she stated they had about 40 guitars in stock. I was looking for a bass at the time and they are a Peavey and a Samick/Greg Bennet dealer.

This is an old family business and good sized shop. As I entered I noticed half of the store was maybe church related supplies like robes and literature and the other half was music. About 10 pianos in stock, some wind instruments and all the guitars on the wall in one spot with a decent selection of amps and PA equipment.

I had time to browse and had picked out a small bass practice amp that I needed and did not have a price on it. I was willing to pay a little more there within range to support the locals and begin a relationship with store...possibly.

So I made my way to a nice Samick cutaway about $299 and began to tune it with the tuner and pick I brought with me. The owner I think came over and she asked me If I needed any help. I told her I was interested in the small amp in the next room if she could tell me the price.

She said okay I'll check on that amp for you. Then....
"Now we don't mind anyone playing the guitars as long as they are interested in buying"....just as I strummed the freshly tuned G chord...."and I say that lightly" she said.
"So you don't want me playing the guitar ?" I asked.
"Well it makes them hard to sell with scratches on them. Let me check on that amp for you" as she walked away.
I proceeded to hang the guitar back on the wall and replied, " I tell you what, just forget it" and I exited the store thinking they just don't need my business.

I sure hated that too as I had high hopes for finding this nice store. The lady was very nice and I can understand her reasoning, but still disappointed. I felt bad afterwards.

What would you have done?
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}

Last edited by polarred21; 01-11-2017 at 11:35 AM.